Friday, May 3, 2013

Gluten Free Flours

Ever since I started this gluten-free journey, I have been on the lookout for different flours that I could combine to get the best results when it comes to creating that perfect texture similar to what is found in baked goods with wheat-flour and gluten. I decided to make use of some used glass jars I had been collecting for years from garage sales, resell shops and the like, and use them as storage containers for the different flours. Whenever I find a recipe that I want to try, now I have a lot of options to choose from.  I have found all of them either at our Super Walmart, or at a St. Louis chain grocery store Dierburgs, which has a gluten-free and organic section.  Usually I find that by combining fine flours with more course flours, I get a good result. It many cases adding Xanthan gum or Guar gum helps hold the baked items together better. Here is a list of the most common alternative flours that I use, according to their texture:

Fine flours:                     Course flours:

Corn starch                     Teff flour
Potato starch                   Sorghum flour
Tapioco flour                  Brown rice flour
Arrow Root flour            Bean flour (Fava, Garbanzo, Soy)
                                        White rice flour
                                        Amarinth flour
                                        Almond flour
                                        Quinoa flour

                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment