Friday, June 7, 2013

Luscious Gluten Free Lemon Cake Donuts

In honor of National Donut Day (I just found out today that there was one!), I have decided to try out a new lemon cake donut recipe in my Bella Mini-Donut Maker. My mom gave it to me for Christmas and it is great for my situation, where one person in our family has Celiac and the rest of the family does not. I can make up a small batch of just 7 donuts with any gluten-free cake mix (the recipe comes with the Mini-Donut Maker for standard cake mixes).  However, I adapted a Lemon Loaf recipe and used it to make these luscious gluten-free lemon cake donuts. Here's the recipe:

1 1/2 cup gluten free flours of choice (my favorite is a combination of brown rice, amarinth and tapioca flours)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. xanthan gum
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. lemon extract
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup oil
zest of one lemon

Glaze:
2 cups powdered sugar
8 + Tbsp. lemon juice

Mix the donut ingredients well, and spoon one Tbsp. of batter into each donut mold of the greased donut maker. Don't over fill. Close tightly and cook for 3 minutes.  Continue making donuts till all batter is gone. Take cooked donuts and dip into glaze, allowing excess to drip off.  Set on plate and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment